Table of Contents
1) What is Internet Download Manager(IDM)?
IDM (Internet Download Manager) is one of the best shareware applications that you can use to download files many times faster than other download managers in Windows. But you can not install this application directly in any linux OS via any method. In this tutorial, I will show you step by step process with commands to install IDM in Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04 easily.
Ubuntu has great download accelerators like XDM, Uget, flareGet, Steadyflow etc, but if you have used the IDM program in Windows and have switched to Ubuntu, then you have probably noticed that IDM is not available for Linux version.
Let’s say you have tried other apps and you did not like that, then you will surely miss this great software in Linux. But don’t worry, you can still install and use Internet Download Manager in Ubuntu by following this guide. You cannot get download speed as much as Windows with IDM in Ubuntu, but everything else will work. Here are some major features of IDM:
- It has a capability to resume, schedule, and organize downloads.
- Accelerate downloads by up to 5 times.
- It can connect to the Internet at a set time, download the files you want, disconnect, or shut down your computer when it’s done.
- Quick and easy installation
- Customizable Interface
- And more..!! You can view all the features of idm from this official site.
2) What is wine and why do you need to install wine?
As you read above, Internet Download Manager does not support a version running on Ubuntu. To install IDM, we need to first install Wine.
Wine is a free and open source software application that allows computer programs written for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems.
It is a compatibility layer which is capable of running windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD.
- User with sudo access
- Internet to download wine and it’s dependencies. (See next section)
4) Install wine in ubuntu
We need to install Wine first to Install IDM. Installing Wine on ubuntu is easy and requires only a few commands to fire on your system.
You can check out a tutorial on how to install wine on different flavours of ubuntu versions.
5) Install IDM in ubuntu
Make sure you install Wine first before following next steps. It’s mandatory step for installation of IDM. Without that you can’t install IDM. I have already shared link in above section.
After installing wine software, you will need to download and install IDM of the Windows version. Follow below steps to do it:
1) You need to download the 5.05 version of IDM, because that is the only version of IDM that is working properly with wine. However, you can still install the latest version of IDM. It will install successfully, but it may or may not work properly. You don’t need to worry from where you have to download the old version of IDM. Simply click on this oldverion.com link and click on “Download Now” button.
2) Double click on the setup file, it will open a installation wizard. If it does not work then, you can right-click the IDM executable file and click on “Open With Wine Windows Program Loader”.
3) It will Open Internet Download Manager Installation Wizard. Click on “Next”.
4) Read IDM licence and then click “Next”.
5) You should go with default destination folder. if you want yo change then you can do it by clicking on “Browse” button and then click on “Next”.
6) Click “Next” 2 times. The default installation options are sufficient for running the program in Ubuntu. Click “Finish,” when prompted.
7) The popup will come which asks you to reboot the computer. Click on “Ok” to restart your computer.
8) After reboot search for “Internet Download Manager” in Ubuntu search bar and open the application.
When IDM starts it will show a popup with lots of tips. If you don’t want to have it every time when IDM starts then simply you can uncheck it.
6) IDM compatibility with browser
One sad thing is that, when using IDM version 5.05 on wine, IDM addons on Web browsers (e.g. Google Chrome, Firefox) does not work, so you will not be able to download files directly by clicking on link/button. But you can always copy and paste that URL manually into the IDM GUI from the “Add URL” option.
That’s all you need to do!! Hopefully you will enjoy your favorite downloader IDM on Ubuntu.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? Please like and share this post with your friends and colleagues. It will help and motivate us to post articles with quality content.